viernes, 4 de diciembre de 2009

Mientras tanto

As we wait for news of the pub quiz I will entertain you with another story. It's my favourite.
Our Eileen (this time my dear sister) was living with me here in Spain for a while. Eileen is a very sociable person and it's not easy finding someone to talk to in English here so she was happy to accompany my friend Pilar and walk her dog together. Pilar was learning English at the time. Anyway one day Pilar didn't turn up and told Eileen the next day that it was because her doctor was ill. 'Oh,' Eileen said, a bit puzzled, 'you and your doctor must be good friends.' 'Oh yes, yes she is my friend but she is my doctor' answered Pilar. Eileen said, 'Oh your doctor is a woman. ' 'Yes yes of course but she is very young.' Eileen nodded, still very puzzled specially when she learnt that Pilar's doctor was only nineteen. The conversation continued in this strange fashion until at last they realised that while Eileen was talking about her doctor Pilar was talking about her daughter.
All those consonants we use and don't pronounce!!
As a little boy in Patricia's class used to say,
'Los ingleses escriben una cosa y luego dicen lo que les da la gana,'

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario